Feet are constantly exposed to moisture due to sweating and wet weather conditions which may cause your feet to sweat, and even smell. Fungal problems are another cause of foot odor and smelly feet. Athlete’s foot, which is a skin infection caused by fungus is one of the main causes of smelly feet. If your feet have a chronic odor this can be a sign of an infection. Constant foot odor is not normal and surely not pleasant, and should be treated right away. Dr. Frank Oware suggests spraying an antiperspirant spray into your shoes to help with the odor. Here are a few more simple tricks to prevent foot odor:
- Keep feet clean and dry, especially in-between toes.
- Never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Throughout the day your feet sweat into your shoes which creates the perfect conditions for bacteria to grow. Give shoes 24 hours in between wears to dry out.
- Socks should be changed daily and never share socks or footwear with another person.
- Avoid walking bare foot in public areas such as showers, locker rooms and pool areas.
- Keep toenails short and clean and remove any hard skin with a foot file. Hard skin can become soggy when damp, which provides an ideal home for bacteria.
- Purchase over the counter foot spray for your shoes.
If these preventative tip do not work, Cornerstone Foot & Ankle is here to help! Make an appointment with your podiatrist so they can provide you with the necessary treatment. Call now (856) 582-6082 or request you appointment online TODAY!