Be Aware When Choosing a Professional Pedicure
A professional pedicure at a salon or spa is the perfect gift for your favorite Valentine … or just for you! But some salons may send you home with more than painted toenails. Certain nail services including pedicures have been linked to infections. Choose your nail salon carefully with our tips:
- Look around and observe the general cleanliness of the business.
- Check that current licenses for both the salon and technicians are displayed.
- Don’t be afraid to speak up! Ask if the foot bath and filters have been sanitized.
- Schedule your pedicure early in the day when foot baths and other equipment are cleanest.
- Check that sterilized utensils are used for every client or consider investing in your own tools that you bring along with you. Always ask for a new emery board as these cannot be sterilized.
- Don’t shave your legs within 24-48 hours before your appointment to prevent infection through tiny nicks in the skin.
- Postpone your pedicure if you observe any cuts, scratches or bug bites on your feet or legs.
- Ask the nail technician to use a pumice stone or foot file to remove dead skin rather than a foot razor, as the razor may take off too much.
- Don’t let the technician cut your cuticles; instead, ask that they gently push them back.3
A bad pedicure can lead to an ugly foot infection and here at Cornerstone Foot & Ankle we want your feet looking and feeling their best. If you experience any pain, cuts or infections while getting a pedicure it is important to have one of our podiatrist examine your feet. If you find yourself in this position call or request your appointment online TODAY!
Cornerstone Foot & Ankle is a full service foot and ankle specialty office with locations in Sewell, Cherry Hill, Marlton, Mt. Holly, Woodbury, and Glassboro; serving the South Jersey region. We offer a full suite of services including surgery, fracture care, fungal nail care, diabetic foot care, pediatric podiatry, custom braces and orthotics, wound care, limb salvage, and treatments for arch pain, heel pain, and sports injuries; just to name a few. If it hurts below your knee, we can help you! CALL NOW or request your appointment online TODAY!